HIV+ alien & reception/accommodation

Is reception/accommodation possible if you can't leave the Netherlands due to illness?

If you have no means of existence, you may be eligible for reception/accommodation through Agency for the Reception of Asylum Seekers (COA) in accordance with Art. 64 of the Aliens Act. You will receive a daily allowance and will be insured through the healthcare insurance programme for asylum seekers. If you have no place to live, you can be placed in an Asylum Seekers' Residence Centre (AZC). To arrange this, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) has to send form number M54 to the COA. These services will end as soon as there is nothing more blocking your deportation.

What about reception/accommodation if you have applied for a residence permit on the grounds of a medical emergency?

People who have applied for a permit on the grounds of a medical emergency and who have the same (medical) situation as someone who gets a postponement of departure can also make use of the reception facilities for asylum seekers. The Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) must use form number M54. But note: there is only a very slight chance that Art. 64 of the Aliens Act will apply in your case.

What if you are not eligible for reception/accommodation?

There a numerous initiatives (often run by churches) aimed at finding or providing accommodation to (former) asylum seekers who are not (or no longer) eligible for reception/accommodation through the national government. You can read more information (in Dutch) about this on - click on Onderdak.

end faq


Hiv Vereniging Nederland

Eerste Helmersstraat 17


020 6 160 160
>> directions



020 689 25 77

For questions about living with HIV. Available monday, tuesday and thursday from 2 PM till 10 PM

>> read more


Support the association and become a member
>> contact Servicepunt